Give your outdoors a dramatic makeover by creating a fabulous deck. With the right kind of planning, creating the deck of your dreams will no longer remain a distant dream.
Tips on Bringing your Dream Deck to Life
- Did you know that you can create custom decks with the help of contractors? Start by helping your contractors create a rough sketch of the design you intend to execute. They may place battens to highlight the edges of your plan to get a clearer idea on the final look.
- Once you have made your decision with regards to the dimensions of your deck, ask your contractors to create a scale plan of the area. Make sure that they mark the wastewater soak-aways, outer house walls, door openings, manhole covers, air bricks, trees, and other obstacles.
- While planning, ensure that the top level of the deck that is attached to your home is 150 mm under the damp proof course (DPC). Check with the local building regulatory authorities for other compliance requirements.
- Also, make necessary accommodation for cut-outs or hatches close to draining inspection covers in the deck. See that your design does not block any air bricks.
- A key step in effective planning involves measuring up the working area. Your contractors will be able to refer to the scale plan and calculate the area required for your deck in square meters. Depending on the size of your area, determine how many decking packs, posts, and rails you will need. If you are not sure, ask the contractor and the store for help.
- One of the best deck railing ideas is to place the deck boards at right angles. If you choose to fix the boards parallel to the wall, the emphasis will shift the width of the deck. This will draw the eye to the garden and beyond.
To finally begin the project, the contractors will start by preparing the ground where the deck will be built. They will use a string and pegs to create a perimeter spending time clearing turf and vegetation from the area. After taking all the necessary steps to prepare the ground, as well as making sure that no weeds will grow up through the deck, they will start building the framework.
In addition, your professional deck contractors will be able to help you through incorporating elements into your deck that adds to your final vision. With professional support, you can be certain that the end result will be both sturdy and beautiful.